Sunday, September 14, 2008

McCain and On-The-Job Training

"I have had a strong and a long relationship on national security, I've been involved in every national crisis that this nation has faced since Beirut, I understand the issues, I understand and appreciate the enormity of the challenge we face from radical Islamic extremism," the Senator declared. "I am prepared. I am prepared. I need no on-the-job training. I wasn't a mayor for a short period of time. I wasn't a governor for a short period of time."

Watch McCain speak these very words as he accuses Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani of needing on-the-job training. Romney was Governor of Massachusetts (population a little north of 6 million) for 4 years. Giuliani was mayor of New York City (population a little bit over 8 million and coincidentally the largest city in the United States) for 8 years. I might add that Giuliani was the mayor during the attacks of September 11, and was consequently named by Time as "Person of the Year." However, McCain believe that they will need on-the-job training to be President.

Here's the punchline. McCain thinks Palin, who was mayor of a town of about 5,500 for 6 years, and governor of a state with about 700,000 for a year and a half, would be more ready to step in as president if anything should unfortunately happen to McCain. As I don't follow McCain logic, we'll need to ask him how this works.

No comments: